Welcome to Archangel Christmas

Customer Service

Shipping & Delivery
We offer any shipping service available through UPS & USPS. At the time of checkout we typically offer UPS Ground shipping although other expedited shipping options can be arranged. Should you need an item faster, please contact us ahead of time so that the proper shipping service can be arranged. The cost of shipping insurance has been added to your total through the handling cost and is calculated based on the UPS insurance fees. We do not mark-up the insurance fee nor do we charge an actual handling fee. If you are purchasing multiple items, please contact us prior to paying for your items as we do combine shipping and would be glad to provide you with a shipping quote for multiple items. Overnight shipping services are available and will be offered only at your request. If you have any other questions regarding shipping, please send us a message and we can answer it for you at that time.
Returns beyond 7 days won’t be accepted. Damaged items, if insured, will have to go through the proper UPS claims process. Do not send damaged items back to us prior to filing a claim. We can't help you if you send it back to us. If you purchase an item from Archangel Christmas and decide that you don't want the item after purchasing it, you may return the item for store credit. YOU will be responsible for the return shipping and NO shipping refunds (shipping for the original purchase or return shipping) will be given on returned items. A 40% re-stocking fee will apply for returned items which will be deducted from your store credit, so please ask any and all questions you may have about the item before purchasing it. If, for any reason, you choose to return the item, you must contact us prior to returning it to get a Return Merchandise Authorization Number. The RMA# must be printed on the outside of the box or the return may not be processed. Upon receipt of your return, a store credit will be issued for the original purchase price less shipping charges and the 40% restocking fee. You will receive a store credit from us for the remainder of the original purchase price (60% of purchase price after the 40% re-stocking fee is assessed) within a week. All store credits must be used within a 90 day period or they will expire and become invalid.